Hospital physicians, staff, neighbors, UA leaders and community leaders are invited to attend a groundbreaking ceremony for the $400 million, nine-story tower at Banner – University Medical Center slated to open in early 2019.
Guest speakers include:
- Kathy Bollinger, Executive Vice President of Academic Delivery for Banner Health, Banner University Medicine
- Tom Dickson, CEO, Banner-University Medical Center
- Charles Cairns, MD, Dean, College of Medicine - Tucson and Professor, Emergency Medicine
- Ann Weaver Hart, President, The University of Arizona
- Major Jonathan Rothschild, City of Tucson
- Dr. Akinlolu Ojo, AVP for Clinical Research and Health Initiatives, UAHS
The nine-story tower is the centerpiece of $1 billion in construction undertaken by Banner Health in support of the UA Colleges of Medicine and academic medical centers in Tucson and Phoenix.
Ironically, we put the morning construction activities on-hold while we conducted the ceremonies on the construction site. We also prepared a series of display posters that included project information and several historic images illustrating the history of the project site including the time that the University supported a R.O.T.C. cavalry training site and a successful polo team. Since many of the speakers referenced the unique history of the site, it seemed that this was interesting to many of the participants.
Celebrations are important – especially during a four year long project!